Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Cicada Magic - New Zealand 2015

Fishing for large trout with large dry flies is exhilarating sport and today the trout happened to be hungry for cicadas. If you don't know what a cicada pattern looks like, here is a picture of the same pattern I used today:


It lands with a plop and grabs the attention of the trout.

I fished a well known Southland river and the weather was good - clear skies with a gentle breeze. Perfect weather for cicadas to do their thing (make noise and procreate I guess) and for gusts of wind to blow any unwary cicada into the waiting mouths of the trout.

I landed two brown trout, each 5½lbs, and lost a slightly larger one which was on the hook for about ten minutes and had my arm aching. I also pricked two other trout but these two had turned and followed the fly for a way before taking it facing downstream and this is perhaps why the fly was pulled from their mouths when I struck. You'd think trout would hit these big morsels with aggression but they don't. Instead all you see is a snout quietly poke out the water as calm as you like and disappear back under the water with hardly any surface disturbance at all.

One of the fish below is a real fatty too! Great to finally get on the plus side of 5lbs.





2 comments:

  1. Nice mate!!! I told you they will get bigger...pound for pound....! Enjoy it down south. I believe the weather is turning to custard as I type this message. Catch you later. Tight lines! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Pieter! No sign of any bad weather...yet! Today was great.

      Delete