Brothers

It has been a wonderful (if hot) Christmas with my family in White River, boosted by my brother getting some time off work and driving through on Christmas eve to see us. I hadn't seen my brother in seven years so we had a lot to catch up on. We fished together when we were kids and when the conversation moved on to fishing we worked out it had been a decade since our last fishing trip together. A Boxing Day excursion to the Sabie River was hatched, the nearest trout stream, and quite possibly South Africa's most easterly population of trout.

It was a quick in-out trip, a planned two hours which became three in the early morning before the heat of summer kicked in. Things panned out perfectly and we each caught a trout. Even better was the time spent fishing together, rekindling the bonds of brotherhood.






It happened to be my brother’s first trout from a river, a milestone he didn't want me to mention. But who listens to their younger brother anyway? The first of many I hope. With me soon to travel overseas, who knows when next we might fish together.

Comments