Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Coming to America

Crown Prince Akeem in the title movie may have visited the shores of the US in search of a royal bride, but this African comes in search of trout. Akeem took his personal aide Semmi to help his quest, I will bring along nothing but a fly rod, a backpack and a budget. Can't wait!

My trip to New Zealand is winding down and I'm starting to think about the USA. I'll be there between 16 May 2015 and 23 July 2015. Haven't planned much but the rough idea is to catch as many trout of as many different species as I can in a southerly direction through Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. Nothing is set in stone yet except my arrival and departure terminals - Vancouver on 16 May and Las Vegas on 23 July. I'm hoping to encounter Rainbows, Cutthroats, Apache and Gila trout as well as fishing some of the West's famous and not so famous rivers. If I can fit in a trip to the Sierra Nevadas for Golden trout, I will too.

If anyone has any ideas for must-fish rivers, must-have flies, interesting places to visit or cool places to stay I'd be really grateful to have them. I'm not looking for pointers to your secret spots, just general ideas to make my trip as good as such a trip should be. There's obviously a heap of big name rivers that I've grown up reading about. If you're familiar with any of them, let me know! If you want to go fishing with me, even better! Either leave me a comment below or send me an email at theriverbeat@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks!

Image from www.steve-lovelace.com


No comments:

Post a Comment